Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

GOING, OWEN, GONE

News out of England today that Michael Owen has announced that he will retire from football at the end of the season. I feel cheated about his career. He played for Liverpool, Real Madrid, Newcastle United, Manchester United and Stoke City(sort of). He also played 89 times for the Three Lions scoring FORTY goals! So, why do I feel cheated. I just think there could have been so much more. I think the turning point of his career was actually leaving Liverpool for Spain. He was no more than a bit part in Madrid and to makes things worse, Liverpool went on to win the Champions League the year he left. He should have stayed at Anfield and been a pain in my butt for years! Who will ever forget his goal for England against Argentina? Who will ever forget his hat-trick in Munich? Even his last second goal for United against Citeh in a 4-3 derby win. He was passed it by then but I always thought that he could have been one of the best ever. I fear Rooney's career is heading down the same road as wee Mikey!


Your thoughts gentlemen?

UWS

6 Comments:

Blogger The Blue Devil said...

I feel the same way that you do, UWS. The combination of his fast-guy injuries and the move to Real did him in when he was still too young.

But I'd like to remember Owen at his best - scoring bags of goals for Liverpool and England. Spinning away after having scored the incredible goal against Argentina in 1998 or doing somersaults after scoring his hat-trick against Germany in 2001 with Motty screaming - "Oh - it's just getting better and better!"

Relive that moment again here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ0uIKjommQ

That's the Wee Mikey that I'll remember fondly.

8:10 PM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

I think you have agreed with me to a tee

8:37 PM  
Blogger manunitedrules said...

I do agree to a tee too.I remember him scoring against the Argies in the World Cup when he was eighteen, the hat-trick vs the Germans, and scoring loads of goals for Liverpool. He was never the same player after he went to Real and then had problems with injuries the remainder of his career.I personally feel this was coming. He probably should have retired about two years ago. I agree that Roon is heading the same way.

9:38 AM  
Blogger gooner71 said...

I seem to remember his trouble with dodgy hamstrings even before he left Liverpool. Thing is, Owen was never more than an outstanding goal-scoring technician, a souped-up Jermaine Defoe if you will and once he didn't have the speed to get onto the ball where he could apply that devastating finishing touch, he was done.

His heroics for England, I'll remember. Him victimizing Arsenal in "that" cup final, I've never forgotten.

1:24 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

I'd take an "outstanding goal-scoring technician" right about now because there are so few around in the world game today. What irritates me about the likes of Karim Benzema and others who claim big salaries these days is how allergic they are to the six yard box. I grow weary of watching these oiks drifting wide, dropping deep and taking set pieces. Wee Mikey was always there in at the business end of a cross or a deflected shot. Boy, we could use him in the England team these days.

1:46 PM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

I thought he was always lethal in his Liverpool days

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home